Whether you are just setting up your new house or want a renovation, a great home decorating plan is a must. And getting the right one that fits your style perfectly could be a hurdle too high to jump over. However, it doesn’t really have to be that difficult.
You will be surprised that you can decorate your house yourself easily; all you need are the right steps and the materials that fit your style. Find below steps to follow to decorate your home on your own.
- Figure out your decorating style. Learning your style is the first and the hardest part of home decorating. Once you get it, you are close to being done with the decorating. So, take your time to find out what you like in your home setting. You can set your house to be transitional, which is a blend of both the old and new way of home decorating, or go with a uniquely modern setting. You also can decide to choose from a contemporary or a farmhouse design. Whatever you want, the choice is yours.
- Break down the plan. Once you determine the style you want to go with, the next step is to break your plan into smaller ones. And the first break will be taking one room at a time. Starting from a bedroom is advisable, but then you get to choose—since it is your house.
- Start with the most significant piece in the room. After you choose a room, you must immediately figure out where to place the most significant item in the room. The largest is most likely the most expensive. In a bedroom, the biggest is the bed. So, once you figure out where and how to place the most prominent item, other things will find their way.
- Leverage the experts. You can always seek the advice of experts. Their knowledge will save you a lot of trouble and most likely money. So, don’t hesitate to ask them questions whenever you have the opportunity. Some retailers offer professional advice to their customers, so use that.
- Paint. The next step is painting the walls. Figure out what shades you want to use and stick with it. Colors that will appreciate the collections of items you have will go well. So, endeavor to put your pieces like the color of your chairs in the living room or the color of the rug before deciding on the color to paint.
- Layer each room over time. You will discover that you can’t finish the decorating once. In fact, there is a saying that house decoration is not a sprint but a marathon, so as you live in your house, new ideas will come to your mind, and you can always try them out.